Ok, one week of serious play in the books.
The good: +35 buy ins on Ignition @ $5nl, and +36 buy ins on WPN @ $2nl. Moving up a limit on both sites beginning tomorrow.
The bad: Failed miserably at maintaining a consistent life schedule. Not for any reason other than laziness and lack of commitment. Intend to begin a more strict regiment tomorrow, the alarm clock is already set.
The ugly: Complete meltdown in my relationship with John Doe. Not entirely sure why, and it's likely that I am at least partially to blame, but I don't have time for wasting time by being overly nice. I'm sure that he has his own point of view of what happened. But the undeniable facts are simple, he just doesn't listen to me, he ignores 90% of my advice and argues with the other 10%.
Since he's likely the only one reading this, I'll give a couple simple examples...
1) Within the first 5 hands of a sweat session, I say "don't cbet so much out of position". He does not respond. He continues cbetting at a ridiculously high rate. So within 50 hands of a 4 tabling session I make the statement, "just stop cbetting out of position completely". Which never happens. I don't even think he considers his position before he decides whether or not to cbet. I think that he thinks it is still 2004 and you just iso raise everyone, cbet every flop and print money. Unfortunately, it isn't 2004 and his out of position cbetting strategy is so bad that no one could produce a positive win rate in the modern high rake, low rakeback games that he plays in.
2) The argument over check raising and barreling off nut flush draws. Several months ago we discussed this in great detail. We did the math. It isn't my opinion, it's just straight up fact that we should check raise and barrel the lower flush draws, while just calling with the nut flush draws in almost all single raised pot postflop situations. It's pretty easy to understand, in my opinion. You only have so many hands to be check raising and barreling for value. Therefore, you only need so many hands to check raise and barrel as a bluff. The Axs flush draws have enough value that they can call and still be +EV. Whereas hands like 87s need to generate fold equity to be +EV. Since all flush draws aren't needed to balance our value raises, we call with the ones that are +EV to call with, and raise with the flush draws that would be -EV to call with. It's a very simple concept in my opinion. But he refuses to acknowledge that it's correct. He prefers to check raise and barrel with Axs, while calling down and hoping to hit a flush with the lower flush draws that have zero showdown value. Even when you turn or river your best pair with 98s, it still loses virtually every time. Whereas hitting an ace on the turn or river gives you the best hand the majority of the time.
I don't understand why it isn't clearly obvious to him, but it isn't. Neither is cbetting out of position. Neither is listening, thinking, and paying attention. It's all just a waste of time for us both. If you keep playing, I hope you figure it out and I hope you have tremendous success. But I can't teach you anything anymore.